Cold Harbor

May 27th, march nearly parallel with the Pamunky river all day. Distance twenty-two miles. Cross about six miles from Moneabuck.


The march was continued to Mangohick, where the brigade arrived on the evening of the 27th, and bivouacked for the night.

May 28th, cross the Pamunky river about four miles from New Castle; distance eight miles.


On the 28th, they marched to and crossed the Pamunkey river, near Newcastle, climbed the hills and took position thereon, and threw up breastworks.

May 29th, march toward the Chickahominy river, bivouac in line about six miles from the river; distance four miles. May 30th, march southward about three miles and form line. Here we remain until June 5th, when we march to the left. Camp near Cold Harbor; distance twelve miles. March to Bottom bridge on the Chickahominy; distance eight miles. Here we remain until June 11th.


On the 29th they went forward to the support of Griffin's division, which had been attacked by the enemy, who was successfully repulsed. After this, the brigade moved to the right of the division, threw up slight breastworks, and bivouacked. On the next day they moved two miles to the front, and threw up earthworks, under a heavy fire. On the 1st of June, the brigade moved still further to the front, and took an entrenched position in the woods, near Bethesda Church, their lines being but a short distance from those of the enemy. Here the division remained, exposed to occasional fire of artillery and musketry, until the 5th, when it moved to the left, to Cold Harbor, and on the 7th to the Chickahominy, and the brigade was stationed near the north bank of the river, at a point about a mile from the crossing of the Richmond and West Point Railroad, where it was employed in picket duty.

The End of the Second Wisconsin

This day the term of the Second Regiment's three years expired. It was relieved from duty and under command of Maj. George Otis, started for home, after a march of twenty miles to White House Landing. The Second Regiment embarked on the steamer Lizzie Baker, went down the York to Chesapeake Bay, arriving at Washington June 13th. June 14th, take cars for Baltimore, Md. where we arrive about midnight. June 15th we take cars for Madison, Wis., where the regiment arrives on the 18th and is received by the state officers and citizens in a grand ovation. Judge Orasmus S. Cole, of the Supreme Court, delivered an address at a dinner given the boys. A most hearty welcome given the boys of the Old Iron Brigade. June 28th, two companies were mustered out. June 29th six more, and on the 30th the balance and all the remnants of this part of the Old Iron Brigade were on their way to their respective homes. The veterans of the Second Regiment who had re-enlisted and with the recruits whose terms had not expired, were organized into an independent battalion consisting of two companies, and on the day of our departure from the field the 11th of June sixty-four were placed under the command of Capt. D. B. Daily, Co. B, the battalion being assigned to provost duty at division headquarters,
Gen Lysander Cutler commanding.